An interesting atheist book

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2003 - 16:33:28 EDT

    During our last week here in Aberdeen, my wife went (once again) antiquing.
    She found a book by Arthur B. Moss with a preface by Herbert Junius
    Hardwicke, entitled, The Bible and Evolution. The preface is dated March
    10th, 1890. In the preface Hardwicke writes:

    "It has often struck me with surprise that so many intelligent and educated
    people still cling to the old myths and superstitions of the past, when
    reason and common sense so clearly proclaim them to be utterly unworthy of
    acceptance. It seems almost incredible that, in the latter part of the
    nineteenth century, a large proportion of the people of Europe still profess
    to believe the fables of the Creation, FAll, and Redemptions,
    notwithstanding the fact that science and reason both declare them to have
    been impossible as historic occurrences." Herbert Junius Hardwicke,
    "Preface" in Arthur B. Moss, The Bible and Evolution, (London: Watts and
    Company, c. 1890), p. 3

    This was not the type of book my wife expected to have purchased. However,
    it does show that my claim that Biblical literalism was not dead in the late
    19th century is basically correct. It also is supportive of the view that
    Biblical literalism was not revived in 1961 as some claim. Claims that there
    wasn't a battle over Genesis, Geology and Biblical literalism and evolution
    are clearly falsified by literature of the day. Here we have atheists
    claiming that there are many biblical literalists in the 19th century, but
    modern historians seem to think this wasn't the case. I simply don't know
    why. Do they not read the actual 19th century literature?

    This will be added to my web page
    http:\\www.glenn.morton.btinternet.co.uk\nineteenth.htm