Science (Fiction) Book(s) recommendation.

From: Joel Peter Anderson (joela@umn.edu)
Date: Sat May 24 2003 - 13:48:55 EDT

    I just wanted to recommend the second (in what I hope is a trilogy)

    _The_Fifth_Man_, by John B. Olson, Randall Scott Ingermanson

    IMHO, this is an excellent book - I'm guessing it is volume 2 of 3, now
    that we've had "Oxygen" about getting to Mars, this book about being on
    Mars.... hmm, what is next? Ah, going home, of course!

    This is a solid, hard science story about what it might be like to be on
    Mars. What would be the consequences of discovering life? What are the
    psycho-dynamics of a mission of four people over a period of YEARS.
    National and international politics. Oh and religious ramifications of
    finding life, along with a very realistic portrayal (in this book and the
    last) about NASA problem solving in Apollo 13-type situations. Oh and
    there is romance - and moral issues of good and evil.

    The real shame is that this book is pretty much consigned to the
    "Christian fiction" ghetto, when it should be up there scrapping for a
    Hugo or Nebula. I wish Bethany would cut a deal with TOR or DAW and get
    these books in the open market!

      joel anderson * joela@umn.edu * 612-625-7389
                           --> pager: 612-648-6823
         http://www.vaccineinformation.org