Re: The problem with RFEP

From: George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 19:17:32 EDT

    Howard J. Van Till wrote:

> [...]
    > > they go. The
    > > theological problem with them is that they don't go far enough. By this I
    > > don't mean
    > > that they aren't sufficiently thorough in the ways in which they speak about
    > things
    > > happening in the world through natural processes. The difficulty lies in the
    > other
    > > direction: These principles, as Howard has expressed and argued for them,
    > > do not have
    > > adequate theological grounding.
    >
    > George's judgment here is consistent with the fact that one standard
    > reaction to my presentation of the RFEP is, "Sounds like deism to me."
    >
    > As I noted in my recent PSCF article, the RFEP does not in any way entail
    > deism, but evangelical Christians long for more explicit references to
    > divine action than my presentation of the RFEP ordinarily includes.
    >
    > However, because the RFEP fits comfortable in a diversity of theological
    > frameworks, I have found it reasonable to leave many theological issues open
    > to further reflection.
    >
    > > In particular, I believe that their major problem is
    > > that they are not properly grounded in christology.
    >
    > George's preferred approach is to ground the RFEP in his christology, which
    > is entirely reasonable, and he does this ably. It is not my intention to
    > argue against such an approach, even if I do not hold to it.
    >
    > Howard Van Till

    > >From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
    >
    > > I agree with the concepts that Howard has described as the
    > functional
    > integrity
    > > of creation &/or Robust Formational Economy Principle (RFEP) - as
    > far as
    > > they go. The
    > > theological problem with them is that they don't go far enough. By
    > this I
    > > don't mean
    > > that they aren't sufficiently thorough in the ways in which they
    > speak about
    > things
    > > happening in the world through natural processes. The difficulty
    > lies in the
    > other
    > > direction: These principles, as Howard has expressed and argued for
    > them,
    > > do not have
    > > adequate theological grounding.
    >
    > George's judgment here is consistent with the fact that one standard
    > reaction to my presentation of the RFEP is, "Sounds like deism to me."

    > As I noted in my recent PSCF article, the RFEP does not in any way
    > entail
    > deism, but evangelical Christians long for more explicit references to
    > divine action than my presentation of the RFEP ordinarily includes.
    >
    > However, because the RFEP fits comfortable in a diversity of
    > theological
    > frameworks, I have found it reasonable to leave many theological

            I'm not sure what you mean here. I understand that your position is not
    deistic & have pointed that out to others who have thought that it was. When I say "do
    not have adequate theological grounding" I mean something quite different which I
    explain in the rest of my earlier post.

    > > In particular, I believe that their major problem is
    > > that they are not properly grounded in christology.
    >
    > George's preferred approach is to ground the RFEP in his christology,
    > which
    > is entirely reasonable, and he does this ably. It is not my intention
    > argue against such an approach, even if I do not hold to it.

             Thanks for the compliment. But this still leaves one wondering
    on what other basis we can claim to know the character of God in a way
    that motivates your understanding of divine action.

                                                            Shalom,
                                                            George

    George L. Murphy
    gmurphy@raex.com