RE: Response to Howard on Tillich & Bultmann -- follow up

From: Rich Blinne (e-lists@blinne.org)
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 11:06:01 EDT

    -----Original Message-----
    From: asa-owner@lists.calvin.edu [mailto:asa-owner@lists.calvin.edu]On
    Behalf Of Howard J. Van Till
    Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 6:44 AM
    To: Dr. Blake Nelson; asa@calvin.edu
    Subject: Re: Response to Howard on Tillich & Bultmann -- follow up

    My inclination to move from one way of portraying God to another is complex,
    entailing many factors -- some of which I may not be fully aware. Theodicy
    questions are very relevant here. [Divine self-limitation does not, in my
    view, eliminate responsibility for divine inaction.]

    [Rich Blinne] Which questions? How would you compare and contrast your
    views with Clark Pinnock's Open Theism? His theodicy so valued human
    freedom that he limited not only God's sovereignty but also His
    foreknowledge. Do you see God's character that He cannot violate human
    freedom? Do you see God's character particularly His love that he cannot
    act directly on the Universe?

    As you can see from these questions, I am having a very difficult time
    understanding your views, particularly what part of God's character makes it
    impossible for Him to act directly on the Universe. I am not only curious
    about what your view is, but also the logical path from point A to point B.
    It is particularly this last part I am having trouble understanding. Why is
    it impossible for God to act directly on the Universe, but is possible and
    also true that he acts through so-called authentic human experience. Are
    you saying there is no mediate human experiece that is authentic, such as
    the disciples witnessing their risen Lord? If God can "get through"
    directly through authentic human experience why can he not "get through"
    directly through nature?

    Thank you for your patience as I play the four year old. :-)