Re: On Tillich

From: John W Burgeson (jwburgeson@juno.com)
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 10:34:02 EDT

    >> I just don't see how her comments that belief as
    defined as assent to a creed not existing prior to the Enlightenment can
    be
    defended historically. From the small bit I have seen from your quotes I
    wouldn't trust her historical analysis very much. She can advance the
    cause
    of mysticism if she wants to. But, she shouldn't distort the historical
    record to make her point. [N.B. This is not an anti-mysticism post but
    an
    anti-sloppy history post.]>>

    I understand. She has written quite a lot and is, I understand, fairly
    well regarded as a scholar. But I am not at all a judge of that myself
    (nor do I wish to be). My quote may very well misrepresent her, and, if
    so, apologies.

    Peace

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    www.burgy.50megs.com