Re: Do non-U.S. Christians say "God Bless America?" (fwd)

From: Joel Cannon (jcannon@jcannon.washjeff.edu)
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 10:52:13 EDT

    > From: RFaussette@aol.com
    >
    > If nationalism becomes overzealous we assume a mercenary army, don't
    > we. That's one of the structural weaknesses that brought Rome down --
    > a mercenary army and uncontrolled importation of slaves to work the
    > massive latifundium that replaced the small farms of the Roman
    > legionnaire and centralized agriculture in these large slave owning
    > estates. The empire is raised, but on a very temporary foundation.

    Rich:

    The example of Rome is telling (and, to the degree you reflect
    Christian sentiment, one that should make the rest of the world
    nervous---"Trust us. Like the Romans of old we have good intentions").

    Are you suggesting that Christians are called to be in the business of
    building and maintaining empire? That is what the post seems to
    imply. Remarkably, what you focus on is not how Rome treated its
    citizens (not to mention those it conquered), and its low regard for
    life, but that it did not succeed because it was not nationalistic
    enough and the people weren't willing to serve in the military. Is it
    possible that Jesus had intended a vision different from this for his
    church?

    Joel W. Cannon | (724)223-6146
    Physics Department | jcannon@washjeff.edu
    Washington and Jefferson College |