Re: On Tillich

From: Joel Cannon (jcannon@jcannon.washjeff.edu)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 17:18:00 EDT

    George Murphy wrote:

    > Just a query so that there's not a lot of slaying of straw men &
    > women: Is anybody (either on this list or of significance in the
    > history of Christian thought) saying "It doesn't matter what you
    > believe as long as you're sincere"?

    Yes! Just call me Dwight Eisenhower--- I mean Ike.

    Actually, while writing I noticed the irony that Eisenhower, who made
    that statement, was President 50 years ago during the time a recent
    post suggested was a time when the U.S. was more Christian.

    For whatever reason, I believe every President since Kennedy (possibly
    Johnson) has made some pretences to some sort of evangelicalism.

    Joel W. Cannon | (724)223-6146
    Physics Department | jcannon@washjeff.edu
    Washington and Jefferson College |
    Washington, PA 15301 |