Re: On Tillich

From: John W Burgeson (jwburgeson@juno.com)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 16:27:05 EDT

    >>Since our Christianity depends upon believing that Jesus is risen, if
    tillich did not believe this, he does not fulfill my definition of a
    Christian.>>

    Both Tillich and Bultmann, as far as I can see, would assent to the
    resurrection event. Neither held it, however, in the way that you do (or
    that I do, for that matter).

    Both claimed to be Christians and, reading sermons from either one, tells
    me that I must accept their claims as true.

    Last time I looked, God was not asking me (or anyone) for their
    definition of a Christian. That's his job. For which I am very thankful.

    <G>

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    www.burgy.50megs.com

    Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!