Re: Do non-U.S. Christians say "God Bless America?"

From: RFaussette@aol.com
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 13:38:33 EDT

    In a message dated 5/27/03 11:45:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time, gmorbey@wlu.ca
    writes:

    > Overzealous nationalism. Canadians have their own, less obvious brand of
    > civil and
    > Christian folk-religion.

    I am amazed at how far things have come -- "overzealous nationalism." My
    father's generation climbed over one another to join the armed forces during
    W.W.II. Many of them died. I suppose they were "overzealously nationalistic." Many
    of them were 1st or second generation Americans themselves eager to
    demonstrate their loyalty to their new country. If nationalism becomes overzealous we
    assume a mercenary army, don't we. That's one of the structural weaknesses that
    brought Rome down -- a mercenary army and uncontrolled importation of slaves
    to work the massive latifundium that replaced the small farms of the Roman
    legionnaire and centralized agriculture in these large slave owning estates.
    The empire is raised, but on a very temporary foundation.
    Canadians are often afraid to preach the gospel lest the gays protest.

    rich