Re: Do non-U.S. Christians say "God Bless America?"

From: Graham E. Morbey (gmorbey@wlu.ca)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 11:43:15 EDT

    I can agree with Terry about a reading of "God Bless America" that sees
    it as a well meant prayer in keeping with Romans and 1 Timothy;
    something like " God, keep our land..." in O Canada. But American civil
    religion as Christian folk-religion, has a powerful ally when currency
    with "In God we Trust" and "God Bless America" are coupled in
    non-discriminating minds in a context that leans to over-zealous
    nationalism. Canadians have their own, less obvious brand of civil and
    Christian folk-religion. It may be that a perceived multiculturism helps
    to tone-down Canadian manifestations of civil religion while the
    melting-pot perception in the US abets it. And yet.... countries that
    acknowledge God openly have some elements of freedom going for them that
    others who banish God from their public conversations do not. And Jay is
    right about the way good and evil cut down the middle.

    Graham