Do non-U.S. Christians say "God Bless America?"

From: Joel Cannon (jcannon@jcannon.washjeff.edu)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 10:14:23 EDT

    I am curious what non-U.S. citizens think of statements like this,
    which implicitly tie the gospel to "God Bless America."

    I find it to be a surprisingly clear manifestation of the national
    idolatry that characterizes too much of American (U.S.)
    Christianity. Why not just say "God is on our side" or "America is
    God's country" and be done with it?

     There are many things for an American citizen to be thankful for
    (much of which can be traced, ironically, to the Enlightenment). My
    post is not anti-American. However, the line between the good and the
    bad (or the Godly and the un-Godly) cuts right down the middle. Being
    Christian should encompass among other things telling the truth about
    the principalities and powers of this age; we are citizens of a
    different kingdom. Our belief that "Jesus is Lord" should mean that we
    do not worship America, the American ideal, or other things "of this
    world."