Re: Response to Howard on Tillich & Bultmann

From: Vernon Jenkins (vernon.jenkins@virgin.net)
Date: Sat May 24 2003 - 17:51:12 EDT

    Michael,

    Just two points at this time:

    (1) Regarding my suggestion that the science that underpins the study of
    earth history is _deductive_, you first claim this to be "manifestly false"
    (presumably meaning that it is so obviously untrue as to require no further
    comment). However, you then go on to say you are "not aware" that geology is
    deductive. Clearly therefore, you accept there is some room for doubt. That
    being the case, kindly explain, (a) why you believe so strongly that your
    reading of the geological record is correct, and (b) why those who disagree
    are worthy of utter contempt.

    (2) The people you criticise as being guilty of "distortion and
    misrepresentation" not only believe in God, but also in what He has caused
    to be written in His name - particularly as it concerns the true nature of
    man; ergo, his complete dependence on _revelation_ to settle the matters of
    origins and destinies. Kindly explain why such a reasonable understanding of
    what the Bible actually says should cast doubt on the "moral integrity" of
    those who hold such views.

    Vernon

    http://www.otherbiblecode.com