Re: On Tillich

From: Don Winterstein (dfwinterstein@msn.com)
Date: Sat May 24 2003 - 03:48:11 EDT

    How about: Faith comes through feelings moderated by a minimum of reason. Afterwards, people use reason to buttress their beliefs and make them sound reasonable. Reason does not create faith but rather serves faith.

    (People are rightfully suspicious of "truths" whose only support is pure reason.)

    As St. Anselm wrote in Cur Deus Homo, believers request his rational explanations "...not for the sake of attaining to faith by means of reason, but that they may be gladdened by understanding."

    This is true for the kinds of faith that grasp the major unprovables, including the faith of those who believe in God and of those who believe there is no God, and of those who love G.W. Bush and those who hate him.

    Don