Re: Response to Howard on Tillich & Bultmann

From: Vernon Jenkins (vernon.jenkins@virgin.net)
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 18:07:13 EDT

    Michael,

    You ended your recent communication thus: "What I am saying is that YEC and
    any fundamentalist nonsense creates a severe problem to both the head and
    the heart of any Christian striving to follow Christ."

    I trust you would agree that the science that underpins the study of earth
    history is necessarily _deductive_ ; it seeks to determine a _possible_
    series of events that has brought us to this point in time. That being so,
    it is surely desirable that as brothers and sisters in Christ we approach
    the matter in a spirit of humility - respecting the views of others who have
    chosen (in keeping with sound biblical principles, as they understand them)
    to interpret the relevant data of the _here and now_ differently.

    The hardness of your stance betrays a complete disregard for some very clear
    and fundamental scriptural teaching respecting the nature of man: clearly,
    even in his redeemed state, he is no friend of God (Ps.2, Jn.21:15-17); and
    since the Fall, has ever preferred imagination to reality (Gn.8:21,
    Jer.17:9). I'm sure you would agree that facts such as these - which, if we
    are honest, we know in our hearts to be true - should encourage us to depend
    more on God's Word and help us to believe what we read.

    Vernon