Re: Response to Howard on Tillich & Bultmann

From: Michael Roberts (michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 14:10:21 EDT

    > Actually, the first draft of that post had an additional sentence to the
    > effect, "Furthermore, the mischievous behavior of a few strident
    > representatives of traditional supernaturalism also functioned to
    encourage
    > me to explore other theological territories."

     I would suggest that the mischievous behaviour is of two sorts;

    1. The whole misrepresentation and intellectual nonsense of YEC and
    sympathisers. By that I mean the misinformed sustained attack on orthodox
    science with arguments which are fallacious. Thus distortions of radiometric
    age-dating in attempt to discredit it, nonsense about the geological column,
    catastrophic plate tectonics justified from Gen 10.25 - Peleg and so on ad
    infinitum. With that the refusal to take correction. I could certain other
    approaches but will get my knuckles rapped !!!!
    I would not call this mischievous but downright bad.

    2. The speed at which those who do not accept these YEC arguments are
    portrayed first as unreasonable and then as liberal or heretical - consider
    the venom of the AIG site. If you dare challenge Ken Ham at a meeting he
    replies with vitriol and tries to show that you are an
    apostate/liberal/heretic to the rest of the gathering and often carries
    them. Yes I took him on.

    If Iwere presented with the choice of YEC or atheism I would choose the
    latter as being more in the spirit of Jesus.
    If the choice was YEC and any form of liberal Christianity I would choose
    the latter for being closer to the teachings of the Bible.

    Fortunately there is another alternative.

    What I am saying is that YEC and any fundamentalist nonsense creates a
    severe problem to both the head and the heart of any Christian striving to
    follow Christ

    Michael