Re: On Tillich

From: Jim Armstrong (jarmstro@qwest.net)
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 13:11:57 EDT

    Well, FWIW, reason and faith appear at least complementary, manifesting
    the "contrasting" meaning of antithetical rather than the "opposed"
    meaning. As a matter of experience we humans begin our sojourn in this
    world in a mode that is basically all faith (at least as contrasted with
    reason). With maturity, reason grows and moves into the forefront as the
    dominant mode of operation, not displacing faith but increasingly the
    predominant way day to day living is conducted. With time a separate
    identifiable domain of faith takes on definition precisely because it
    constrasts with the rational. For most, this is characterized as a
    domain of spiritual faith that is the essence of the topic. In that
    sense, "Reason is the precondition of faith.", bringing definition to
    what faith is. However there is also the less recognized unconscious
    and ubiquitous use of mental constructs about life, nature, and people
    that are are very real everyday moment-by-moment expressions of faith.
    These mental constructs are also at the heart of scientific
    understanding. In that sense, faith was really never left behind with
    the development of reason, but is interwoven with it, though distinct
    from it. So I see faith and reason as complementary and inextricably
    interleaved, with each serving to bring greater definition to the other
    as one reflects on them and their interactions.

    Jim Armstrong