Re: Response to Howard on Tillich & Bultmann

From: John W Burgeson (jwburgeson@juno.com)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 15:05:21 EDT

    Howard wrote: "I'd like to move from the evaluation of particular
    theologians to the broader question, Is it SCIENCE that discourages
    belief in miracles as supernatural (the overpowering of nature) acts of
    God? I'm inclined to suggest that it's not primarily a scientific issue,
    but a much more comprehensive theological/metaphysical issue -- a
    worldview issue."

    So many have jumped in on Howard's most excellent post that I'll just
    touch on this one part.

    IMHO, you are right. What happens, I think (that's a sort of tentative
    claim) is that Bultmann and Tillich, because they misunderstood the
    scientific enterprise, equated that worldview with "science."

    It's a "think" rather than a claim because so far I have not found
    anywhere either Bultmann or Tillich spoke directly to this issue. The
    Tillich quotes I posted a bit ago come close, but are not conclusive.

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    www.burgy.50megs.com

    Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!