Re: Prayer parallel?

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@chartermi.net)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 09:51:37 EDT

    From: "Jim Armstrong" <jarmstro@qwest.net>

    Just to be very clear, the gist of my query was that it looks to me like
    answers to prayer are essentially "small(?)" miracles, being departures from
    the apparent natural course of events. If that is the case, then the
    discussions about miracles should essentially be descriptive of responses to
    prayer as well. It seems to me this might change the flavor of the
    discussion a bit.

    Jim,

    I'm running out of time to craft responses to several interesting questions.
    Check out what I've said so far about the distinctions between supernatural
    action, miracles, and other forms of effective and variable divine action.

    Griffin is strong on the meaningfulness of prayer and the effectiveness of
    non-coercive divine action. My own personal experience would support such an
    approach.

    Given some of my attempts to clarify our terminology regarding divine
    action, I would welcome your continued exploration of prayer and its
    effectiveness.

    Howard