Re: The Tower of Babel - Less Confusing

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 06:30:35 EDT

    Debbie Mann wrote:

    > ....... "How does anyone have enough faith to be an
    > atheist? It requires an infinite amount of faith to believe in nothing."

    I beleieve that the strength of atheism lies in the criticisms of other beliefs
    and not in supporting its own. Life is not as easy for an atheist as it was
    years ago.

    On the scientific front, the good old of days of Carl Sagan’s “The universe is
    all there is; all there ever was; and all there ever will be.” are gone forever.
    In “Just Six Numbers”, the atheist, Martin Rees, shows how extremely finely
    tuned for humanity our universe is. The alternative to an intelligent creator is
    the existence of a huge (possibly infinite) number of other universes with less
    fine-tuning.

    On the ethical front, it really is hard for an atheist to defend any personal
    morality. Since integrity has no meaning other than as a social nicety, how
    sincere can a professed set of morals be?

    Indeed, one has to admire a person who can overcome such intellectual obstacles.

    Walt

    Walt Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>

    In any consistent theory, there must
    exist true but not provable statements.