RE: Response to Howard on Tillich & Bultmann

From: Alexanian, Moorad (alexanian@uncw.edu)
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 21:40:27 EDT

     I believe the words natural and supernatural are equivocal. The more appropriate terms to use are physical and nonphysical. The former is the subject matter of science and purely physical devices can collect the data. If the nonphysical does not exist in nature, then we have materialism. Examples of the nonphysical are human consciousness and reasoning, which are the attributes of the scientists that allow them to give explanations and infer theories from the physical data. Even if scientists can write down theories that not only describe nature and make predictions but also explain all that is physical still the existence of conscious, rational beings would not be part of the consequences of the theory.

    Miracles are improbable events that the believer believes were a consequence of his/her prayers and supplications to a Supreme Being. Can we ever establish the latter as a fact? Clearly, not. Do I believe in miracles and that prayers are answered? Obviously, yes. We can weave all sorts of arguments to make miracles palatable to those who do not believe in them, but in the final analysis, it is a matter of faith not our power of persuasion.

    Pascal said that morality does not make sense without immortality. That is one way to approach the problem of human immortality but there are all sorts of ways and all ought to be considered. Do I believe in immortality? Yes, I do.

    Notions of morality are clearly nonphysical and thus not the subject matter of science. Let us face it, science deals with a rather limited aspect of reality.

    Some may say that the definition I give above of the subject matter of science is rather limited. That is the point otherwise; we can claim some aspects of reality to be the purview of science when they clearly are not. The study of humans by science will have to relay on detection and measurements by purely physical devices. Is parapsychology good science or nonsense? One can make all sorts of theories of all that we can detect by purely physical devices. However, in the study of humans that will give us a rather superficial and limited aspect of the true nature of who we are.

    Moorad