Re: Response to Howard on Tillich & Bultmann

From: Burgy (jwburgeson@juno.com)
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 18:17:03 EDT

    George also wrote: " Bultmann didn't so much reject belief in the bodily resurrection of Jesus as say that it was irrelevant for theology. In response to a question about whether or not he believed that the tomb of Jesus was empty he's supposed to have replied, "That is a question of archaeology, and I am not an archaeologist.""

    I had not seen (or, more likely, had forgotten) that statement. My assessment of Bultmann stands, however, although it is based mostly on negative evidence and converstaions with ones here more learned than I. Obviously Bultmann thought the bodily resurrection of Jeses was an irrelevancy, for he says as much. Tillich seems to say the same thing, but for Tillich, your assessment might be true.

    Of course, the apostle Paul appears to not agree with either of them, and so far I can see no way to take a stance different from his.

    Burgy (John Burgeson)

    www.burgy.50megs.com

    Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!