Prayer parallel?

From: Jim Armstrong (jarmstro@qwest.net)
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 12:39:08 EDT

    I have a question that somewhat parallels some aspects of this discussion.

    You (and others) have alluded to a line of thinking that the order of
    the day in creation is ...uh ...order, cause and effect, operation that
    is consistent with the RFEP concept (which BTW I embrace as well).
    Miracles, to whatever extent they occur, are what they are precisely
    because they violate some aspect of that consistency. The argument at
    the extreme is whether it might be reasonable then to explore the notion
    that God might in fact perform no miracles at all (aside from creation)
    because it is against his nature?

    My question has to do with prayer, and the question springs from a
    couple of considerations, one of which is echoed in your words, "... is
    consistent with the totality of my life experience, which includes my
    experience as a person trained in science." I am troubled by the naivete
    of statements of the sort that there are three answers to prayer, "OK",
    "No", and "Not now". I've pondered that a long time, and it just seems
    that if I consider the whole landscape of prayer(s) that there are a
    great many that simply are not responded to. Moreover, I realized that
    if more than a few "miraculous" prayers were answered, we would
    undoubtedly live in a more chaotic and reliable world than exists now.
    That does not even consider collateral issues like contradictory
    prayers, or the sheer volume of prayers. It doesn't take long to begin
    thinking in terms of some way of explaining how only certain numbers
    and/or certain kinds of prayers might be likely to be responded to.
    Historically, the most important prayers were punctuated with sacrifice.

    Now I am fully aware that this touches on some pretty sensitive stuff,
    and even has big implications with respect to important things like
    hope, but doesn't it seem that there is a strong, maybe even
    definitional parallel between the the matters of miracles and prayer?
    Don't the same character considerations and extremal possibilities
    apply? What might be your (or others') thoughts in this area?

    Jim Armstrong