Re: addendum

Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 00:06:23 EDT

    In a message dated 05/20/2003 2:08:48 AM Pacific Daylight Time, writes:

    > Hi Paul
    > Interesting point about olive trees. Sure they are hardy trees but…
    > my point would be that if the world was totally covered in water such that
    > the highest mountains were covered
    > then wouldn’t the “olive trees” be out of sunlight for more than a year?
    > That would make them more than hardy trees wouldn’t you think?
    > Peter

    Well, I do not claim to be an authority on this, but a couple of years ago I
    took a chain saw and cut down a camelia bush with a 9 inch diameter trunk.
    Nothing left but the stump. That seems as likely to me to kill a tree as not
    having sunlight for a year. But, up came the shoots and now I have a 3 foot
    camelia bush again. It seems that you have to kill the roots not just the
    tree, but I defer to a botanist if there be one in the audience.