RE: addendum

From: bivalve (bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com)
Date: Tue May 20 2003 - 17:45:34 EDT

    >if the world was totally covered in water such that the highest mountains were covered then wouldn't the "olive trees" be out of sunlight for more than a year?<
    >That would make them more than hardy trees wouldn't you think?<

    Defoliation for one year is not necessarily fatal for a tree, so a year in the dark might be survived. A more immediate problem for the trees would be drowning. As olives are fond of dry climates, I suspect that simply keeping the ground saturated with water for a while would kill an olive tree. Salt water would be even less friendly. An olive seed surviving while floating for a year (especially if still insulated by the olive) would be more plausible, but might not have time to grow enough to provide much to pluck.

        Dr. David Campbell
        Old Seashells
        University of Alabama
        Biodiversity & Systematics