Re: Response to Howard on Tillich & Bultmann

From: Michael Roberts (michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: Tue May 20 2003 - 12:19:16 EDT

    I will put in my pennyworth!

    George is fair on Bultmann. Among anglican theologians many assume some kind
    of conflict thesis as a reason why they must reject orthodox christianity.
    e.g Don Cupitt in The sea of Faith, Paul Badham in The Contemporary
    Challenge of Modernist Theology (1999), both are similar to Spong in his
    recent pukings. Likewise John Hick. Their refrain is that they must have a
    theology which takes modern science into account and that means no miracles.

    In a sense they adopt the opposite argument of creationsits and say that
    becuase science has disprooved genesis and miracles we have to have a faith
    which excludes the Virgin Birth and empty tomb and is soft on atonemnt etc.
    At times the argument is extended to disallow any historicity in the old and
    new testament.

    I am sure that there are parallels in US liberal theology.

    Regards

    Michael