Books on history and philosophy of science

From: Preston Garrison (garrisonp@uthscsa.edu)
Date: Tue May 20 2003 - 03:00:09 EDT

    Group,

    I got a nice list of books on philosophy of science in response to my
    earlier question, for which I thank all who responded. One volume
    histories of science appear to be a nearly extinct species - I got no
    suggestions there. David Lindberg's "The Beginnings of Western
    Science: The European Scientific Tradition in Philosophical,
    Religious and Institutional Context. 600 BC to AD 1450" looks like a
    possibility as an overview of pre-modern science. I also saw
    elsewhere the suggestion of Daniel Boostin's "The Discoverers."
    Anybody have any comments on these or other possibilities. What I am
    looking for would be something that would be accessible to the
    educated non-scientist, non-historian.

    Thanks to all,

    Preston G.