Re: The Tower of Babel - Less Confusing

From: Michael Roberts (michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: Sat May 17 2003 - 15:56:02 EDT

    Well said Paul! I remember many years ago in the JASA journal there was a rewrite of Genesis using contemporary science. I couldnt accept it as I did not agree with its gradualistic evolution rather than Punc Eq.

    But then does anyone insist on a flat earth from Genesis 1, 6-8, Exodus 20. 4 and Isaiah 40. 22. (I am well aware that some misinterpret those as being Copernican texts but that is nonsense)

    It has been clear teaching about the Bible is that God 'accommodated' his thoughts to ours - it comes out very strongly in Calvin and many writers from then (and before) I f we dont see that accommodation we get into the morass of literalsim which YEC has done and also Jim eisele and to a lesser extent Dick Fischer.

    Genesis One was to teach Creation in ways people could understand, as Galileo put it "how to go to heaven and not how the heavens go".

    Michael