Re: The Tower of Babel - Less Confusing

From: PASAlist@aol.com
Date: Fri May 16 2003 - 01:54:48 EDT

    Jim wrote,

    > Paul writes (to Dick)
    >
    > >When the YECs run into scientific data that would falsify their theory,
    > they
    > >ignore it, distort it or find some other way to get rid of it. You are
    > doing
    > >the same with the biblical data.
    >
    > Once again, it appears an atheist is needed for some
    > objectivity. Paul, I won't argue with your scholarship
    > or all of the time you have put in to share your
    > knowledge. Come on now, though. Your interpretation of
    > Genesis is no less creative.

    Hi Jim,

    Actually I am agreement with the historical and modern consensual
    interpretation of the Flood. And my approach to Genesis is not so very far
    away from Calvin's, so not so creative as it may seem. Also, as I replied to
    Gordon, it is rather close to Jesus in principle.

    Since the commitment to the assumption that if God speaks he must get his
    science and history right (he cannot accommodate his revelation to "the
    notions which then prevailed" to use one of Calvin's phrases) is the basis
    for YECism, concordism, and even your atheism, that assumption is the root
    problem. I see no necessary biblical or logical basis for this assumption. It
    is just human reason, man telling God on an apriori basis. what he can and
    cannot say when inspiring Scripture, and then---whether YEC, concordist, or
    atheist---creating imaginary worlds to uphold the assumption.

    I invite you and all the YECs and concordists to surrender your autonomous
    reason to the living Word.

    Paul.