Re: God and nature; miracles

From: Jim Armstrong (jarmstro@qwest.net)
Date: Thu May 15 2003 - 15:12:55 EDT

    Debbie - I think the answer to ,"how do we ...?" is that we just do it.
    None of us approach or respond to scripture without interpretation.What
    stands or falls with respect to interpretation is of course not God and
    his truth. What seems to be of concern here is a slippery slope. No one
    wants to wind up at the bottom of the slope, "no Biblical descriptions
    are literally true as written." On the other hand, the very top of the
    slope is a troubled place, i.e., "all biblical descriptions are
    literally true as written, without metaphor."

    Accordingly I'm inclined to think we are supposed to learn how to live
    on that slippery slope and "test" the descriptions as we work to
    assimilate the value in them and reconcile them in our own system of
    belief . We have been given the capacity to think about and make such
    assessments, with as much help as we are inclined to accept from
    personal inspiration and those thinkers/writers who have gone before us.
    Further, the slippery slope is a metaphor for virtually every aspect of
    real life. Why should we not expect that scripture would challenge us to
    think about and process its teachings in ways that are useful in and
    analogous to the "laboratory" where we put the stuff to work?

    I have to decide for myself where I will slide the cursor. Do I set it
    just above the wine and below the flood? What is the consequence? Is the
    cursor going to stay put? More importantly, am I going to change my
    understanding of God and his purpose in and for me based on exactly
    where I rest the cursor, or just of scripture, or of just some specific
    articulation in that scripture? For most of us, I venture to say that
    the setting of the cursor does not make a great net difference in this
    respect. If it does, we may have placed too much importance on the
    articulation rather than the message.

    As a physiker, I liked your "physicasally" word!

    Regards - JimA