Re: Books on history and philosophy of science

From: Steve Bishop (stevebishop_uk@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 15:55:19 EDT

    >Preston Garrison wrote:
    >
    > A friend has asked me for recommendations on good books with broad
    > coverage on the history of science and philosophy of science. I would
    > appreciate any suggestions anyone might have.

    A favourite of mine, though I suspect out of print is

    W. H. Newton-Smith "The Rationality of Science" (Routledge & Kegan Paul,
    1981)
    Excellent on the philsophy of science from popper to the strong programme

    I also like the Chalmers book ("What is this thing called science?"), which
    someone else suggested my copy is the second edition and is published by
    Open University Press,Milton keynes, 1982. I think there is a later
    edition now available.

    A good one dealing with the philosophy of science from a historical
    perspective is:

    John Losee "A Historical Introduction to the Philosophy of Science" (3rd
    edn, Oxford University Press, 1993) again a think there is a more recent
    edition availlable.

    Fom a Christian perspective:

    Nancy R,. Pearcey and Charles B. Thaxton "The Soul of Science: Christian
    faith and Natural Philosophy" Crossway Books, 1994.

    This is very readable and takes seriously the role of worldviews in science.

    Steve

    http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger