Re: The Tower of Babel - Less Confusing

From: gordon brown (gbrown@euclid.colorado.edu)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 11:31:02 EDT

    On Mon, 12 May 2003 PASAlist@aol.com wrote:

    > Jesus did not believe biblical inspiration
    > guarantees absolute inerrancy (Matt 19:8), and neither should we---if we are
    > his followers.

    It appears that proponents and opponents of inerrancy often have different
    definitions of the term. Using what I assume that the leading proponents
    of inerrancy mean by the term, the above quote would suggest that in Matt.
    19:8 Jesus said that Moses didn't have his facts straight. Actually, what
    He indicates is that the standards of the Mosaic Law were less strict than
    God's standards. There is a difference between pointing out shortcomings
    in the Law of Moses and saying that something is inaccurately reported.

    Gordon Brown
    Department of Mathematics
    University of Colorado
    Boulder, CO 80309-0395