Re: YEC Advocate

From: George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 09:57:59 EDT

    Debbie Mann wrote:

    > No, I'm not a YEC, nor a rhinocerous either, which is the kind of skin a YEC
    > would need around here. However,
    >
    > If God can do anything, why can't he break his own laws? So maybe the flood
    > wasn't in 2900BC. Maybe it was in 5000BC and there isn't any evidence of it.
    > After all - God can do anything. He held the sun up for Joshua and turned it
    > back for someone else (help me - it was an Old Testament sign, I usually get
    > out the resources and look these things up - but I'm flying fast right now.)
    > If God can stop the earth from turning and keep us from falling off of it -
    > or move the sun and not cause major orbital problems for everything in the
    > neighborhood, why can't he make a siltless flood? And conjur up the
    > necessary water?
    >
    > By the way, I read, years ago, an article by YEC that said that there was
    > astrological evidence of the offset caused by those two astronomical
    > maneuvers. Anyone care to comment?
    >
    > On a very serious note, where does one draw the line? There's archeological
    > evidence for so much. There are details of the Bible that agreed with
    > history centuries before we knew that they agreed with history. But how does
    > one discern what is literal?

    Debbie -
            The question isn't what God _could_ do but about what God _has_ done. Biblical
    testimonies to the character of God indicate that he isn't capricious & insistent on
    showing off. & scientific evidence is that God has acted - at least in the vast
    majority of phenomena - in accord with rational laws. Could God violate those laws?
    Yes. Does he? Apparently not very often.
            The story about NASA scientists confirming that God made the sun stand still in
    Joshua's time is a Christian urban legend that has been in circulation for a long time
    but has absolutely no basis in fact. (The NASA web site has a denial of this - sorry I
    don't have the exact info now. maybe someone else does.) Just on the face of it, the
    claim in the story that the scientists "found a day missing" doesn't even mean anything
    to someone who knows celestial mechanics.
            There are archaeological confirmations of some biblical accounts, but not all
    the accounts in the Bible are of a kind that one should expect to find such evidence
    for. We will never excavate the historical Garden of Eden because there was no such
    Garden. & that doesn't mean that the Bible is in error. It means that Genesis 2 is a
    theologically true account but not an historical narrative.

    George L. Murphy
    gmurphy@raex.com
    http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/