Re: Books on history and philosophy of science

From: Don Winterstein (dfwinterstein@msn.com)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 06:20:05 EDT

    Preston Garrison wrote:

    > A friend has asked me for recommendations on good books with broad
    > coverage on the history of science and philosophy of science. I would
    > appreciate any suggestions anyone might have.

    A delightful, simple, entertaining yet competently written book that goes
    from Pythagoras to string theory is "Pythagoras' Trousers" by Margaret
    Wertheim. I'd recommend this as a first read for anyone interested in the
    subject. The emphasis is on physical sciences rather than life sciences and
    includes discussion of the role (and lack thereof) of women. Discussion of
    the influence of religion on science and vice versa crops up often.

    Don