Re: Evolutionary rate

From: Jim Armstrong (jarmstro@qwest.net)
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 13:40:25 EDT

    Gary - I started this parallel processing business and it appears that
    it was not the best choice for making my point, which really did not
    have to do with computation speed as much as with executing many
    processes in parallel. My only point was that when there is a huge
    community of similar organisms, each with evolutionary possibilities,
    that a huge numbers of different possible paths will be explored
    ...essentially in parallel. If you have an objective, but that objective
    is the outcome of some probabilistic process and the actual probability
    for the occurrence is low, then you might reasonably do what it takes to
    improve the probability of the desired outcome. That's why neutrino
    detection tanks and photomultiplier arrays are huge. In the current
    context, it occurred to me some time ago that this may also be the
    reason for the universe being so immense.

    Regards
    Jim Armstrong