A resource for understanding the resurrection and Jesus's resurrection

From: Joel Cannon (jcannon@jcannon.washjeff.edu)
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 11:57:15 EDT

    Hi Folks:

    There have been a number of posts concerning the nature of the
    resurrection. I just received in the mail N.T. Wright's book, "The
    Resurrection of the Son of God." which should help answer a lot (700
    plus pages) of the questions that people are discussing here. Do not
    let the size scare you. He is very readable.

    What will be particularly useful is the discussion of then
    contemporary Jewish beliefs (chapter titles: Time to wake up: death
    and beyond in the old testament, and Time to wake up(2): Hope beyond
    death in post-biblical judaism), and a survey of all that was written
    (canonical and non-canonical) about resurrection in the first two
    centuries. It also has what looks to be a very interesting survey of
    Greek/pagan beliefs in the chapter titled Shadows, Souls, and where
    they Go.

    This is the context in which the resurrection happened, and the
    context in which our understanding of the resurrection (including our
    belief in the resurrection of the body) must make sense. It can mean
    more than contemporary Jewish culture anticipated, but it would be
    absurd if our understanding of resurrection would not make sense in
    the context of a culture God's chosen people which possessed a
    widespread belief in the resurrection.

    I expect this book will make an extremely strong case for an orthodox
    understanding of the bodily resurrection (see the book review in this
    months Christianity Today) but will also challenge some of our
    understanding of what the term `soul' means in the scriptures, and how
    it and other terms are understood within contemporary Christianity. It
    looks like it costs $27.50 with free shipping at Amazon (I got it
    somewhere else for slightly more).

    Joel W. Cannon | (724)223-6146
    Physics Department | jcannon@washjeff.edu
    Washington and Jefferson College |