Fwd: artifacts found?

From: Keith Miller (kbmill@ksu.edu)
Date: Thu May 08 2003 - 09:40:11 EDT

    The following post is forwarded for another listserve. These are =20
    updates on the current situation with the looting of the Iraq Museum.

    Keith

    Begin forwarded message:

    > Despite Sunday=92s report in the Chicago Tribune that "a total of 38 =20=

    > pieces.. are now believed to be missing", there is evidence to suggest =
    =20
    > that the story of the Iraq National Museum is not so simple.=A0There =
    are =20
    > several reports that mention =93hundreds=94 of items have been =
    returned.=A0
    > A report published today says, =93U.S. military officials say they now =
    =20
    > believe only 10 percent to 15 percent of the museum's items were =20
    > stolen.=94=A0=A0That would still be 10% to 15% of 170,000.
    >
    > There are exactly 38 items illustrated online at the Oriental =20
    > Institute website http://www-oi.uchicago.edu/OI/IRAQ/iraq.html, which =20=

    > hasn't changed much in the past couple of weeks.=A0The site was =
    created =20
    > to provide illustrations (from published catalogues) of what was known =
    =20
    > to be missing.=A0Have a look and see if you think it is an accurate =20=

    > source.=A0The fact is, with records destroyed, people still don=92t =
    know =20
    > exactly what=92s missing.=A0The folks at the Oriental Institute are =
    just =20
    > scanning images from books.=A0What=92s weird is that the Tribune story =
    =20
    > mentions missing cuneiform tablets, which are NOT among the 38 items =20=

    > on the Oriental Institute website.=A0Hmmm.
    > =A0
    >
    > The following comments, published in the April 18 issue of Science =20
    > magazine, is still the only one I=92ve seen that gives details about =
    the =20
    > snafu.
    >
    > =93The failure of U.S. troops to halt the looting stemmed from a =20
    > stunning failure in the chain of the U.S. Central Command. The U.S. =20=

    > government was familiar with the importance of the Baghdad museum and =20=

    > other cultural heritage sites (Science, 31 January, p. 643). Curators =20=

    > and archaeologists had met in January with Joseph Collins, U.S. =20
    > Department of Defense deputy assistant secretary for stability =20
    > operations, to discuss the importance of protecting sites from bombing =
    =20
    > and from looting similar to that which devastated Iraq's other museums =
    =20
    > after the first Gulf War. Senior military officials called for the =20
    > site to be secured, but that directive was apparently ignored.=A0
    >
    > =93After viewing scenes of the chaos in Baghdad on 9 April, frantic =
    U.S. =20
    > archaeologists urged a senior Air Force official to intervene to =20
    > ensure the museum was safe. That official told Science he contacted =20=

    > the coalition's Air Operations Command on 10 April, when the looting =20=

    > began, and the request to secure the museum was forwarded to U.S. =20
    > Central Command and to the Army liaison at Air Operations Command. The =
    =20
    > Air Force official was told the request was "taken seriously." But =20
    > nothing was done. The looting continued until 12 April.
    >
    > =93Another source in Iraq says that U.S. soldiers allowed looters to =20=

    > pass checkpoints near the museum, located on the west bank of the =20
    > Tigris not far from the central railway station. A Marine commander, =20=

    > one Army official says, observed the museum looting and did nothing.=94
    >
    > Since coverage of this issue in the local press has been abysmal, I =20=

    > hope the following links will be helpful.
    >
    > Washington decries 'assault' of Iraq museum looting
    >
    > http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=3DFT.com/StoryFT/=20
    > FullStory&c=3DStoryFT&cid=3D1051389807671
    >
    > =A0
    > US pledge in hunt for Iraq museum pieces
    >
    > http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/news/story/0,11711,950768,00.html
    >

    > Thousands of artifacts recovered
    >
    > http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/news/politics/5808370.htm
    >

    > Talks on Iraq's looted treasures
    >
    > http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/05/05/1051987634382.html
    >

    > Experts Coordinate Search for Iraqi Art
    >
    > http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/news/special_packages/iraq/=20
    > 5787851.htm
    >

    > Call to seal Iraqi borders to end smuggling of looted antiquities: A =20=

    > first-hand description of the looting of Iraq National Museum
    >
    > http://www.theartnewspaper.com/news/article.asp?idart=3D11018
    >

    > Hunt begins for Iraqi museum loot
    >
    > http://edition.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/05/05/=20
    > sprj.irq.looting.hunt.ap/
    >

    > Experts Despair of Iraq's Stopping Loss of Relics
    >
    > http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/05/international/worldspecial/=20
    > =
    05LOOT.html?ex=3D1052712000&en=3D33250515ae3cec94&ei=3D5062&pa=
    rtn=20
    > er=3DGOOGLE
    >

    > Iraqi museum assembles list of lost treasures
    >
    > http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/news/special_packages/iraq/=20
    > 5788461.htm
    >

    > Drive to recover Iraqi treasures
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3000749.stm
    >
    > =A0
    > Most antiquities feared lost in looting found intact in museum
    >
    > http://www.statesman.com/nationworld/content/news/050403/=20
    > 0504iraqmuseum.html
    >
    > Here=92s another good story, posted just a few hours ago (cut and =
    paste =20
    > the whole link if it doesn=92t work):
    >

    > Terry Ganey: Stolen artifacts being returned as list of items is =20
    > distributed
    >
    > http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/News/=20
    > =
    A851CF531E2EFD9E86256D1F006F58DF?OpenDocument&Headline=3DTerry+Ganey%3A+S=20=