Re: Evolutionary rate

From: Joel Peter Anderson (joela@umn.edu)
Date: Thu May 08 2003 - 15:38:00 EDT

    On Thu, 8 May 2003, Jim Armstrong wrote:

    > Here is a news item which may be of interest to some here.
    >
    > 'Digital organisms' illuminate evolution (three versions of the article)
    > http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99993706
    > http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2003-05/msu-aes050503.php
    >
    >http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/05/0507_030507_digitalorganisms.html

    Discussing this with a friend, he summarized the designer role:

    "An interdisciplinary team of scientists at Michigan State University and
    the California Institute of Technology, with the help of powerful
    computers, has used"

    In other words, "a bunch of us deliberately set out to design a system in
    which certain things would happen, when they happened, we announced that
    our role in the process was unnecessary"

       ---

    I certainly understand the power of these kind of demonstrations, but feel
    they *can* be seen to demonstrate the ID paradigm, as well as simulating
    mechanisms of evolving systems.

      joel anderson * joela@umn.edu * 612-625-7389
                           --> pager: 612-648-6823
         http://www.vaccineinformation.org