Guilt by association

From: James Mahaffy (mahaffy@mtcnet.net)
Date: Sat May 10 2003 - 15:45:20 EDT

    Roberts wrote:

    > IDers are ambivalent on the age of the earth and many like
    > Johnson,Pearcy try to say that it is
    > not an important issue. By doing that they in fact swing the argument in
    > favour of YEC. After all
    > if all life is approx only 10,000years old then evolution by any means
    > (bar the miraculouis ) is

    Folks,

    As someone who is not ID but respects some of the IDer a bit more, let
    me differ with good vicar. I do NOT like adhominens and I do not like
    guilt by association. Both Behe and Johnson (but not some of the others
    in the ID camp) are not YEC but are old earthers. Behe in fact sees no
    problems with most of life originating by evolution.

    Behe in fact had an impact because he is a good scientist and he
    highlights an area he knows something about and which is not easily
    explained (the origin of complex molecular structures).

    Yes ID's believe in a big camp (including YEC), but sometimes I think
    groups like this would have more of an impact if they understood why
    layfolks often do not like the explanations of mainstream science when
    it talks about origins.

    Lets judge Behe or Johnson on what they say and not because they talk
    with YEC. We all belong to the same association of those who have been
    saved by the blood of the lamb.

    Enough. I must get back to grading those biology finals.

    --
    James and Florence Mahaffy    712 722-0381 (Home)
    227 S. Main St.               712 722-6279 (Office)