Re: Evolutionary rate

From: Don Winterstein (dfwinterstein@msn.com)
Date: Sat May 10 2003 - 09:09:45 EDT

    George Murphy wrote in part:
    >... The baneful effects of the notion that the origin of life
    > must be miraculous (however terms are fudged) can be illustrated by the
    interview with
    > Francis Crick reported on in the recent ASA newsletter. He says that one
    of the
    > reasons he went into science was to help to discredit claims used to
    support religion,
    > including the belief that "the difference between living and non-living
    things" was
    > "inexplicable." Of course one doesn't expect profound theology from
    Crick, but
    > Christians who promote such notions continue - as I've said before - to
    insist on
    > hanging a large "Kick Me" sign on the back of Christianity.
    > Shalom,
    > George

    But Crick is the guy who, in his book, Life Itself, claimed that life could
    not have originated on Earth but had to have an extraterrestrial source.
    That claim kinda shrinks the "Kick Me" sign. This extraterrestrial
    contention is little different from saying, "God did it in a way nobody can
    even imagine."

    Don