RE: Bible Verification

From: Jan de Koning (jan@dekoning.ca)
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 14:58:35 EDT

    At 01:14 PM 07/05/2003 -0400, Alexanian, Moorad wrote:

    >I have a simple question. Why Jews selected the name for their state
    >Israel rather than Judah? The former had to do with the northern kingdom
    >and all sorts of evil leader, Jeroboam, Nadab, Baasha, etc. while the
    >latter southern kingdom was led by Rehoboam, Abijam, etc., which contains
    >the linage of Christ. After all, Jerusalem was in the southern kingdom.
    >
    >Moorad

    Juda would not be quite right either. Even in Biblical times Simeon and
    Benjamin were i the southern Kingdom. Besides Jerusalem, the temple and
    the priests (partially) belonged there as well. So calling it Juda would
    be even more incorrect. Also, if the Jews discover tribes which are
    descended from one of the other tribes, they have the same right as the
    descendants of Juda.

    Jan de Koning