Re: Jesus or Barabbas

From: Robert Schneider (rjschn39@bellsouth.net)
Date: Tue May 06 2003 - 14:04:01 EDT

    It might be interesting to note that in Matthew 27:15-17, Barabbas is named "Jesus Barabbas"; and "Barabbas" is "bar abbas," meaning "son of the father." So Matthew's Pilate asks the crowd if they wish him to release "Jesus son of the father" or "Jesus called the Messiah."

    Now, some authoritative mss. of Matthew omit the "Jesus" with "Barabbas," but the NRSV translators put it in the text rather than the footnote. The editors (Kurt Aland et al.) of the UBS Greek NT, 27th edn. put "Jesus" in the text in brackets. I prefer to believe that the inclusion of "Jesus" with "Barabbas" is the more authoritative reading. If true, how delicious the irony, in a Passion Narrative, like the others, riddled with ironies.

    Bob