Re: Resurrected Body

From: allenroy (allenroy@peoplepc.com)
Date: Tue May 06 2003 - 12:50:37 EDT

    Sondra Brasile wrote:

    > I was always taught that when you die your spirit goes on to heaven
    > and your body rots in the grave until the resurrection where the two
    > are joined in the air. When I met some Seventh Day Adventists (my kids
    > went to their school for a few years) I learned about the concept of
    > soul sleep, I was intrigued at that time by it, since I had never
    > heard about it nor ever considered it. After hearing their view and
    > doing some of my own study, I think they are most likely right and my
    > "teaching" had been off, not that I really care whether my soul
    > immediately goes to heaven or sleeps in my body until judgment,
    > neither one matters to me as long as eventually I get there. Most
    > times the Bible refers to dead people as "sleeping" .

    Just a minor note of correction. SDAs do not believe that the soul
    sleeps in the body, but rather the soul ceases to exist in death until
    the body is resurrected as the breath of life is restored to it. The
    time in the grave is "LIKE" sleep in that the person knows nothing until
    the resurrection. The biblical definition of a soul is found in Gen. 2:7
    A body + the breath-of-life = a soul, i.e. a living person. A 'soul' was
    not put into a body, but the body, made alive by the breath-of-life,
    became a soul -- a person. Its kinda like a light bulb. It gives light
    when power is given it by the flip of a switch. When the power is cut
    off, where does the light go? It simply ceases to exist and you are left
    with just the bulb. There is no "ghost in the machine." We are souls
    because we are alive. We also have souls in that we exist.

    Allen Roy
    A Seventh-day Adventist.

    --
    "I have been shown that, without Bible history, geology can prove nothing. Relics found
    in the earth do give evidence of a state of things differing in many respects from the