Jesus or Barabbas

From: Gary Collins (gary@algol.co.uk)
Date: Tue May 06 2003 - 09:32:57 EDT

    Michael Roberts wrote:

    I would point out that I do have a degree in theology and have taught up to
    M.A. level. I am pretty familiar with biblical commentators from the early
    church until today.

    Hi Michael,
    It sounds as though you are just the person who might be able to answer a
    (not vastly significant) question I have. In all four gospels (I think) Pilate offers
    the people the choice of which prisoner to free - Jesus Christ or Barabbas. All
    four gospels record that two others were crucified with Jesus. What is intriguing
    me is why these two others were not also put forward as candidates for possible
    release.
    Mikhail Bulgakov, in 'The Master and Margarita' makes the suggestion that
    Jesus and Barabbas had been brought to trial by the Sanhedrin, but the other
    two by the authority of Rome. This is only a novel; but since Bulgakov undoubtedly
    used some historic material in composing it, it might be possible that his answer
    is correct. OTOH it may simply be his own fabrication.
    I would like to know if this does come from some early tradition, or from the writings
    of the church 'fathers', etc. My commentaries don't seem to make any comment
    on this.
    Hope you can help, trivial though the question is!
    /Gary

    "By tying up the weak case for a young earth in the same package as the strong case for creation, recent-creationists are almost asking to be defeated."
    -- Alan Hayward, "Creation and Evolution: The Facts and Fallacies," p.81