Re: Resurrected Body

From: Sondra Brasile (sbrasile@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon May 05 2003 - 14:58:16 EDT

    Rich,

    The only references that I know of off the top of my head that refer to the
    soul and body at all being seperated are the ones quoted; 2 Cor 5:6 and 5:8.
    I agree it could mean absence from the “body of Christ” though.

    I was always taught that when you die your spirit goes on to heaven and your
    body rots in the grave until the resurrection where the two are joined in
    the air. When I met some Seventh Day Adventists (my kids went to their
    school for a few years) I learned about the concept of soul sleep, I was
    intrigued at that time by it, since I had never heard about it nor ever
    considered it. After hearing thier view and doing some of my own study, I
    think they are most likely right and my "teaching" had been off, not that I
    really care whether my soul immediately goes to heaven or sleeps in my body
    until judgement, neither one matters to me as long as eventually I get
    there. Most times the Bible refers to dead people as “sleeping” .

    So I gave my comments not what I personally accept, but by what I had always
    been taught in my Assembly of God upbringing. Baptists, I think also believe
    this (souls going to heaven immediately after death) and maybe also
    Nazarenes, I’m not really sure about the rest, sorry if I am generalizing.

    I believe also that our bodies will be like we are right now, although
    glorified. Remember that when people first saw Jesus after his resurrection
    they didn’t recognize him right away, the same diciples that he had lived
    with at very close quarters for the past 3 years didn’t recognize him right
    away. This may lend support that there will be some changes in our
    appearance when we are glorified maybe even drastic, maybe we are “based” on
    the same form, some attributes will carry over into eternity. I cannot seem
    to accept that our wounds of death will be seen for eternity like Jesus’, if
    so I’d hate to see the martyrs’ “glorified bodies” especialy the ones boiled
    in oil or torn apart by lions!

    Sondra Brasile