Re: The Nature of Atheist - Christian dialogue

From: Vernon Jenkins (vernon.jenkins@virgin.net)
Date: Sun May 04 2003 - 17:06:41 EDT

    Michael,

    I had said: "Among the clear certainties of life we may observe the
    following: taking any multiple of 3 (as normally expressed as a denary, or
    base-10, object) and summing the cubes of its digits - repeating the process
    as many times as may be necessary to obtain a final stable outcome - we find
    that outcome invariably to be 153 - the 17th triangular number. Here are two
    examples which demonstrate the principle:
        3 -> 27 (ie 3^3) -> 351 (ie 2^3 + 7^3) -> 153 -> 153 ...
     1624623 -> 540 -> 189 -> 1242 -> 81 -> 513 -> 153 ...
    In other words, this simple digit transform converts one third of all
    natural numbers (as normally represented) to the number of fishes caught by
    Peter and his companions."

    You replied: " I simply cannot understand what you are saying ... and the
    sequence of numbers is unintelligible."

    Let me therefore again attempt to convince you that 153 per se is, without
    doubt, a most remarkable number; and that its presence in Jn.21 is a matter
    that ought not to be lightly dismissed. I regard my opening paragraph as a
    concise, yet complete, description of a process that invariably delivers
    this number from any multiple of 3. Let me therefore focus on the examples
    and provide a little more detail:

    Example 1:
       Step 1: 3 is clearly a multiple of 3; its cube is 3x3x3, or 27
       Step 2: the digits of 27 are 2 and 7, and their cubes, 8 and 343
       Step 3: the sum of these cubes is 351 - its digits, 3, 5 and 1
       Step 4: the sum of the cubes of these is 3x3x3 + 5x5x5 + 1x1x1,
           or 27 + 125 + 1, or 153 - its digits 1, 5 and 3
       Step 5: the sum of the cubes of these is, as before, 153

    This therefore the _stable outcome_ of the process.

    Example 2:
        Step 1: 1624623 is a multiple of 3 - its digits, 1, 6, 2, 4, 6, 2, 3
        Step 2: the sum of the cubes of these is 1x1x1 + 6x6x6 + 2x2x2
            + 4x4x4 + 6x6x6 + 2x2x2 + 3x3x3, or 1 + 216 + 8 + 64 +
             216 + 8 + 27, or 540 - its digits, 5, 4 and 0
         Step 3: the sum of the cubes of these is 5x5x5 + 4x4x4, or 125
             + 64, or 189 - its digits, 1, 8 and 9
         Step 4: the sum of the cubes of these is 1x1x1 + 8x8x8 +
             9x9x9, or 1 + 512 + 729, or 1242 - its digits, 1, 2, 4 and 2
          Step 5: the sum of the cubes of these is 1 + 8 + 64 + 8, or 81
          Step 6: the digits of 81 are 8 and 1, and their cubes, 512 and 1;
              the sum of these is 513 - its digits, 5, 1 and 3
         Step 7: the sum of the cubes of these is 153

    While these are specific examples, the principle is of general application -
    as may be readily demonstrated. Michael, I hope we can now agree that here
    is an important feature of all multiples of 3, viz that they may be simply
    transformed to the 3-digit triangular number153 by a process which - at each
    stage - involves raising individual digits to the power 3. [You may remember
    that I had already drawn attention to the matching incidence of threes in
    Jn.21.]

    I had then said: "John, along with Peter, had earlier been judged by the
    Sanhedrin to be 'unlearned and ignorant men' (Acts 4:13). Clearly therefore
    John's including the detail, '153 fishes...yet was not the net broken', in
    the last chapter of his gospel is as mysterious as his building an accurate
    value of the universal constant 'e' into the numerics of his first verse!"

    To which you responded: "What do you mean?"

    I posted details of this finding (in parallel with the discovery of an
    equally accurate value for 'pi' in Genesis 1:1) under the title "Watershed",
    June 20, 2001. Indeed, I'm surprised you've no knowledge of it, for it
    invoked much discussion - and you were certainly around at that time. You
    may find the details under the heading "From First Principles" at my website
    (URL below),

    Clearly, these authorities you keep quoting - Carson, Hendricksen, and now
    Barrett - had no knowledge of these developments. Thus, their words in
    respect of Jn.21 can no longer carry any weight; and the suggestion that
    this chapter may be allegorical is risible.

    Finally, in answer to my request for clarification of your charge, "To
    interpret Rev.13:18 the way YOU DO IS TO DELIBERATELY MISINTERPRET HOLY
    SCRIPTURE.", you offer the following:

    "Vernon, your arguments boomerang against the Bible. This is my concern."

    Michael, this is hardly satisfactory; indeed it raises more questions than
    it provides answers.

    Vernon
    http://www.otherbiblecode.com