Re: Resurrected Body

From: RFaussette@aol.com
Date: Sat May 03 2003 - 10:41:24 EDT

    In a message dated 5/2/03 11:22:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
    deborahjmann@insightbb.com writes:

    > In regards to a physical resurrection:
    > IICor 5:6 Therefore ...whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent
    > from the Lord.
    > 8 We are confident and willing rather to be absent from the body and
    > present with the Lord.

    Is it?

    The ideal is described as "absence from the body?" Is that physical
    resurrection?

    The Catholic Encyclopedia describing heaven:

    “In heaven, however, no creature will stand between God and the soul. He
    himself will be the immediate object of its vision. Scripture and theology
    tell us that the blessed see God face to face.”

    The creature is the body. Being absent from the body (free of physical
    desire) is being present in the Lord.

    I am always amazed to see sayings assumed to regard physical resurrection as
    also quite gnostic.

    You have to ask, do they mean absence from the body while alive or after
    death?

    A few lines before yours in II Cor. I found - "We yearn to have our heavenly
    habitation put on over this one - in the hope that, being thus clothed, we
    shall not find ourselves naked." Is he referring back to the nakedness in
    Genesis? Take a look:

    When Adam and Eve ate the fruit from the “tree of the knowledge of good and
    evil” the “eyes of both of them were opened and they discovered that they
    were NAKED; so they stitched fig-leaves together and made loincloths…  and
    hid from the Lord God.” (Genesis 3:6-7)

    Could this next reference in a nag hammadi text also be (or rather it must
    be!) a reference to the fall in genesis?

    In the Gospel of Thomas, Jesus says, “When you disrobe without being
    ashamed… you will not be afraid.”

    Isn't it fascinating how you can follow that thread from genesis to
    corinthians to a non-canonical gnostic text only discovered in this century?
    Does that suggest that genesis is tertiary?

    rich