Re: Resurrected Body

From: Don Winterstein (dfwinterstein@msn.com)
Date: Sat May 03 2003 - 04:28:05 EDT

    BlankDebbie wrote in part:

    "In regards to a physical resurrection:
    IICor 5:6 Therefore ...whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord.
    8 We are confident and willing rather to be absent from the body and present with the Lord.

    "That, in conjunction with raised incorruptible and various other references seems to indicate that in the hereafter we won't have bodies like these.

    "Nothing against my body, it suits me very well, but I really don't want to be anywhere near the same in the next life."

    I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

    If one takes into consideration _all_ the relevant NT passages on this subject, the picture that emerges is, as I've already pointed out, that the resurrected body is to be like Jesus' resurrected body, which looked and felt to others pretty much the same as his body before he died. Philippians 3:21 clearly encapsulates Paul's view of the subject and helps us interpret comments such as those in his letters to the Corinthians. Of course, all NT references on the subject are skimpy, so there's room within limits to inject one's own views and still be consistent with Scripture.

    The apostle Paul used code words in that his "spiritual" often was synonymous with godly, while "flesh" and "body" were often synonymous with aspects of our humanity that fight against godliness. To get a complete and accurate perspective on his meanings, one must read a lot of what he wrote and read it carefully. NIV translators apparently have done so and consequently rarely (if ever) translate "flesh" in Paul's writings as "flesh" but rather as "sinful nature" or "human effort," etc.

    Jesus himself showed no aversion either to his own flesh and bones or to those of people he met, whether before or after his resurrection.

    Don

    Blank_Bkgrd.gif