Re: The Nature of Atheist - Christian dialogue

From: RFaussette@aol.com
Date: Thu May 01 2003 - 20:17:30 EDT

    In a message dated 5/1/03 12:53:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
    burgythree@hotmail.com writes:

    > Yes. Maybe even tertiary. Maybe even less than that.
    >
    > Seeing Genesis as a primary issue is one way the YEC concept gets woefully
    > off the track.

    You're presuming my concern and throwing the baby out with the bath water.
    The human stories in Genesis are absolutely pivotal to understanding
    everything that follows.

    I don't see the cosmology and cosmogony of Genesis central, but
    appropriations from the mythologies of the landed peoples in the Mesopotamian
    basin.
    I don't even enter YEC debates.

    The Torah is first and foremost a pastoral document by and for pastoralists.
    It is the psychology and anthropology of genesis that is central, not the age
    of the earth or how long it took to bake.

    rich