Re: The Nature of Atheist - Christian dialogue

From: Vernon Jenkins (vernon.jenkins@virgin.net)
Date: Thu May 01 2003 - 19:40:33 EDT

    Michael,

    You wrote (in part):

    "As we are in the Easter season surely the least important verse in John 21
    is verse 11 on the 153 fish? Hendricksen's comments in his commentary are
    wonderful - 'strange interpretations'. Don Carson is less dismissive but
    questions the value of numerics. So what about triangular numbers, the
    Trinity is more important."

    You appear to regard the numerics as somehow 'competing'
    with the words of scripture rather than 'complementing' them. It is the
    additional information the numbers convey that demonstrates the
    Judaeo-Christian Scriptures to be divinely-inspired. Concerning Jn.21:11, I
    suspect that both Carson and Hendricksen have overlooked some significant
    details concerning 153.

    Among the clear certainties of life we may observe the following:

    Taking any multiple of 3 (as normally expressed as a denary, or base-10,
    object) and summing the cubes of its digits - repeating the process as many
    times as may be necessary to obtain a final stable outcome - we find that
    outcome invariably to be 153 - the 17th triangular number. Here are two
    examples which demonstrate the principle:

        3 -> 27 (ie 3^3) -> 351 (ie 2^3 + 7^3) -> 153 -> 153 ...

    1624623 -> 540 -> 189 -> 1242 -> 81 -> 513 -> 153 ...

    In other words, this simple digit transform converts one third of all
    natural numbers (as normally represented) to the number of fishes caught by
    Peter and his companions. Observe the significance of 3 in Jn.21: this was
    the 3rd time Jesus had appeared to the disciples since his resurrection; he
    questions Peter 3 times; 153 has 3 digits.
    The number of disciples involved in the event was 7 - another number having
    a clear biblical significance..

    John, along with Peter, had earlier been judged by the Sanhedrin to be
    "unlearned and ignorant men" (Acts 4:13). Clearly therefore John's including
    the detail, "153 fishes...yet was not the net broken",
    in the last chapter of his gospel is as mysterious as his building an
    accurate value of the universal constant 'e' into the numerics of his first
    verse!

    These matters provide tangible, and in my view, conclusive evidence that the
    real Author of the gospel that carries his name was not John, but the Lord.
    And that should encourages one to believe the whole Book to be God's word to
    man - and hence essentially immune to the depredations of the higher critics
    and others.

    I also note that you perceive a lack of significant numerics in the Book of
    Acts. You will be interested then to know that in the account of a shipwreck
    in which the Apostle Paul was directly involved, all 276 souls were brought
    safely to land (Acts 27:37, 44). Observe that 276 is 23rd trangular number,
    and a multiple of 3; the detail that "none were lost" resonates with "yet
    was not the net broken".

    One gets the impression that the undergirding of these miraculous happenings
    with an equilateral triangle (also found in 666 and the Bible's opening
    words) is particularly significant as a symbol and seal of divine activity.

    Michael, are these numerical observations really as worthless as you would
    have us believe? When I last wrote I requested amplification of your earlier
    charge "To interpret Rev.13:18 the way YOU DO IS TO DELIBERATELY
    MISINTERPRET HOLY SCRIPTURE." (sic). It really would help if you were to
    point out where I go wrong - indeed, I see this as your duty as a Christian
    minister.

    Vernon
    http://www.otherbiblecode.com