Re: The Nature of Atheist - Christian dialogue

From: Iain Strachan (iain.strachan.asa@ntlworld.com)
Date: Thu May 01 2003 - 19:21:24 EDT

    John wrote:

    > Michael wrote, in part: ...If I can persuade a YEC that them
    > earth is a million years old and he thinks the DAy age is right then I
    > rejoice....
    >
    > But in Jim's case, he rejected YEC and also Xtianity altogether. I cannot
    > rejoice in that, although I don't think the full story is yet written.
    >
    > I have several very fine friends who are YEC and by no means trained in
    any
    > of the sciences. I have really little reason to try to "persuade them"
    > otherwise.

    I agree 100%. My mother has always taken a literal view of Genesis. She
    has an uncomplicated but living faith that has guided her through her life
    and has been indispensible since my father died. I used to tell her that
    science had proved we were descended from apes and that Adam & Eve was just
    a parable. It used to upset her. What was the point of doing that? What
    can it possibly add to her faith? Shame on me!

    Iain.